Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Returns


We had a beautiful early March day yesterday with temperatures reaching the low 70's and I went out to Jug Bay to soak in all in. Packed my gear and lunch and spent many hours hiking the trails and just quietly sitting at various observation points.

Spotted Green-wing Teals, Pintails, and American Black Ducks,Canadian Geese (of course), and even a gorgeous Long-tailed Duck. Also saw Downy Woodpecker (left), Great Blue Herons (below), Red-winged Blackbird, Blue Bird, Titmouse, Cardinals, Carolina Wren, and - a first siting for me - a Red-headed Woodpecker. In the marsh waters, the red-bellied turtles were out and soaking in the rays and industrious muskrats were foraging amongst the old cattail stands. On the way back I ran into two other park volunteers searching for salamanders and at the visitor center I heard that the first Osprey had been spotted this morning.


Spring is returning to Jug Bay.

No comments: