Friday, November 21, 2008

Path to Conservation


A friend recently asked me about why I got actively involved in the environment and conservation. I worked with NASA for most of the 1990's and I'm proud of the contributions I made there including to design of the International Space Station. Space exploration is an exciting endeavor, but no place in this Solar System compares to the complexity, beauty, and wonder of our planet. I remember one night, while working mission support for a SpaceLab mission, being awed by images beamed back from the Shuttle of a massive thunderstorm lighting up the skies over huge portions of Mexico.

While working at NASA I was also involved in the "Mission to Planet Earth", a project to study the planet's climate, ecosystem, and the effect of human activity. That project has continued to document the many threats to our fragile home. Care for the environment has become interwoven in my work, my volunteer activities, and my hobbies. Over the years I have been involved in various conservation activities around the Chesapeake Bay Region including volunteer work with the Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary and the Patuxent Riverkeepers. I've tried to bring my computer, photography, and project management skills into play. And now, I've also been sharing my thoughts on this blog. Together, we can make this world a better place.


No comments: